Sunday, August 1, 2010

Is it blogging or mental diarrhea?

Since I began this blog and began following other bloggers, I began to wonder what makes any blogger (including me...maybe especially me) think that other folks (bloggers or non-bloggers) are interested in the stream-of-consciousness b**ls**t that appears on our blogs. The only answer I could come up with is morbid fascination with the grotesque. In much the same way that drivers slow down to absorb all the grisly scenes of car wrecks, we read others' blogs, hoping to catch them in in some egregious mistake, misspelling, or misapprehension. It makes us feel better to think our blogs are better than their blogs. Other than that superficial connection, we don't really want to know the other bloggers better, just their errors, which we can point out with great enthusiasm and smug superiority.
Isn't this right?

No comments: