Saturday, July 31, 2010

Y R Werds Speld So Stoopid?

Some people have brains that grasp math concepts, others are experts in science, geography, languages. I know numbers. Numbers are a language to me, and it is one in which I am fluent.

What I DON'T get is English. Words are spelled in ways that defy all human understanding. Hooked on Phonics would be fine if words were spelled phonetically, but as we all learned in 7th grade English class, they simply aren't! It is baffling.

I love doing crossword puzzles because I usually get the clues and know the answers, but how can I be successful at this or any other word game (e.g., Scrabble, Boggle, etc.) when I can't spell?

If, when I ask how something is spelled, one more person tells me to look it up in the dictionary, I won't be responsible for what I do. Look it up....can't spell something, so look it up in a book that requires you to already know how to spell it....DUH! Hello?????????????????????? Anyone but me see the oxymoronicity of that?

No comments: